It was hoped that in this coming week (in fact it happened on Tuesday just gone) the bogie could be taken over the pit outside the shed for the Traction Motors themselves to be removed ready for overhauling. That meant that the weekend would be spent removing, cleaning and assessing the motor casings and gearing. Nuts and bolts had been loosened in preparation, and we now went about the tricky process of removing the two casings.
|Bogie #1 - The traction motor gear casings are top left and bottom right between the wheel and traction motor.|
|Casing #1. We managed to remove both top and bottom sections. Casing #2 was removed fully when over pit.|
|The top half no.1 casing. In pretty good condition....externally!|
|The traction motor gearing. In very good condition for nearly 40 years old! Certainly, very well lubricated!|
|Looks like a small piece of rope, however, it is a damaged seal. Luckily, it hadn't seemed to have caused much of an issue.|
|Looks like Marmite, but you definitely wouldn't want this on your toast!!! Or on your hands!|
|Traction Motor no.2 gearing. Also in good nick, but the top casing had to go back on and await time over the pit.|
|The 'fly' in our ointment! Cold, hard, riveted steel!|
|Mark starts the cleaning of the casing. It was to take a lot longer than we thought! 40 years of dirt doesn't come off easily!|
|As we cleaned, the makers mark saw the light of day for the first time in 4 decades! Light Alloys Ltd, London.|
|You can see that the muck had dissolved a lot of the original top coat of paint and the red oxide primer is clearly visible.|
|Mark brings out the internal gear runners. You can see just how much filth had accumulated on these...nearly a centimetre thick!|
Elsewhere with 5081, Mark S and Andy M disappeared into the engine room to look at the oil priming pump which had started to allow too much air into the oil mix causing a few minor issues. Although the loco had not run since November 2016 (which could have partially explained the problem) further investigation identified that a seal needed replacing.
|The offending Oil Priming pump.|
|Andy getting ready to reattach the pipework. To the right is one of the Traction Motor blowers.|
Dave M and Ian R were also up at the depot continuing the overhaul of 47105. The furniture is slowly being replaced into the cabs and the refurbished cab doors are back on their hinges. The foot boards were also cleaned. These will go beneath the cab doors to prevent damage to the paintwork.
|Foot boards for under the cab doors on 47105.|
Neil C also popped into the shed in order to repair and re-install one of our battery chargers. Originally, this one was stored over by our gantry crane and was used by the Cotswold Mainline Diesel Group to charge the batteries on D5343 and 45149. The cab that it was stored in had started to rot and become unstable so it was agreed to place the charger in the shed, in an accessible place to allow the charging of the two CMDG locos on the apron of the shed rather than in a potentially dangerous place.
|The nearly refurbished, reinstalled battery charger.|
And, on the Sunday, the DMU gang were back at the Class 121 'bubble car' -
"Bubble Car Update!!!!!! Another busy day for the DMU crews with the Bubble Car being the focus of attention. The exhaust pipes have been connected up and the Bubble Car's distinctive look is once again back. Kevin Haines, unsung hero, has put in some more desk paneling on the south cab. Kevin has also finished off the wooden trim around the cab windows. And a mighty fine job it looks. Well done Kevin.
The crews have finished off the last few jobs that did not get finished off last Sunday. Fuel lines were checked over, coolant added, hoses finished off. The teams have been working on the interior trim making sure it is ready for when we can start putting the Cotswold side paneling back on. It is hoped, with good weather next Sunday, that the Bubble Car will once again venture outside over the pit. It is hoped that both refurbished engines will be started and run up to allow for installation checks and to check the modifications that have been carried out.
So watch this space........"
|The pipes back on! (Courtesy of CDRG)|
|The driving desk, more bits and bobs in situ. (Courtesy of the CDRG)|
|Trim! (Courtesy of the CDRG)|
All this work on the 'Bubble' bodes well for the Gala at the end of the month! It will be in the diesel shed, along with 47105 and 5081, to demonstrate the level of work that goes into keeping these engines running.